FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

The Timeline Adventures of a Mag'har Orc Monk

VKFFDc8.jpg

Most of us are familiar with the Adventures of Associate Professor Whom, the Worgen Death knight who tracked his progress through leveling in WoW and the timeline aberrations he went through.

Eh7MruZIqAlrpyRkg-oORtxaOos56pe7uZXWEoPA

Today we have a followup from the same author, FormerlySarsaparilla, this time focusing on a Mag'har Orc Monks path through the various intricacies of time in Azeroth. A gripping 34-point story filled with plenty of contradictions, it really makes you wonder just how new players actually see the WoW story we're all so familiar with.

CyX6AdI.png

Do you think the actual story progression of the game should be revised and fixed? Most of us really don't find it relevant but we probably can't even imagine what new players even make of it, probably forcing them to not care about the story of WoW at all, which can't be good for the long-term story of the game.

Source.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So the best way to save yourself, is by being saved by yourself in the past.

At least some of it could have been avoided by simply introducing playable Mag'har from the main universe, rather than alternate one. Sure, many of them were in the Horde for years, but so were Dark Irons in the Alliance (since Cataclysm). There is a character of Jorin Deadeye (son of Kilrogg) who is their leader, but apparently his existence has been forgotten since BC. Full revamp of old zones will likely never happen, something like updating zones for warfronts is probably all we can get.

It's actually rather simple: your character gets created in the present and until it catches up to the current expansion's content everything is just timewalking. When there is a timewalking part in the greater timewalking it shouldn't be described as a linear event, because you end up with a mess like this guy.

• Like 1

As a recently new player in WoW, this is both frustrating and fascinating. Not to mention the graphic, mechanic and stylish differences between the content of each expansion.

• Like 1

I've been playing WoW alongside my mother since early 2005, and I was not even in kindergarten until August of that year. WoW always gave me a challenge at a time when school was far too easy for me. This was a comical read for me, and I now realize how weird the timeline structure can be in this game. I love weird history events in both real life, (Rasputin's death is my favorite true history story.) and in fantasy worlds such as Azeroth, and this is as awesome as it gets in that aspect.

It's really gotten kind of out of hand. Depending on your quest progression you can end up with two warchiefs at the same time, or two versions of Anduin...

blizzard still does NOT have any kind of ingame lore journal or any kind of real "lore progression" system ingame other than the 0/7 zone things ... as long as players have no real option to understand the ingame lore without reading 552634635416371365345763456 textboxes ( which isnt purely a bad thing but in this case yes) we dont need the story fixxed

There is a lot of things that could be improved in WoW, but the lore ingame is a mess.
As earlier mentioned, there is a big chance that the old content never is gonna be revamped.

But I do hope that Blizzard one day, get the option to do so.

5 hours ago, dartbodman said:

It's really gotten kind of out of hand. Depending on your quest progression you can end up with two warchiefs at the same time, or two versions of Anduin...

It's funny when Sylvanas is in Orgrimmar, yet nearby Vol'jin is concerned about this new warchief Garrosh... Two dead warchiefs plotting against each other! Besides two Anduins, Varian switches between missing, being king or dead.

I prefer to assume that presence of several races is not canon, not even timewalking (just gameplay mechanics), like allied races only joined afer Legion so they were only present during content starting in BfA, Pandaren starting during MoP etc.

I recall reading that an Outland revamp is something Blizz have planned, but that was several years ago. My issue is that we have had the Cata-revamp zones longer than we had the vanilla zones for so surely it’s time an expac revamped all the zones again and brought them all up to the current time? That way we can have further timeline confusion!

• Sad 1

how about: all our efforts at healing Azeroth fail. in the end, all the big fractures from that sword shatter the planet...everyone panics and jumps planet by whatever way is possible...we end up in space, new alliances form, and we find a new planet to land on...with two new factions (or 3? maybe the forsaken do their own thing or ALL the elves decide the rest of them can *filtered* off) and we set about screwing with a whole new planet. It would be a full on reset.

• Confused 1

Well, I mean... obviously this is from normal retail play though as a roleplayer, I would just say only the Caverns of Time things were actual jumps to the past. If you started now, then you either have things like Arthas and Garrosh, etc existing in your backstory and not something you can do.

If your character was some normie that did nothing until becoming a death knight or, better yet since you could have just been a civilian, a demon hunter, then you probably did nothing prior to then. lol But then again, a demon hunter is generally only concerned with demons. lol

Personally I think the only way to do this properly is to completely rework max level questing, which can only happen when they inevitable launch WoW as free to play.

41 minutes ago, Starym said:

Personally I think the only way to do this properly is to completely rework max level questing, which can only happen when they inevitable launch WoW as free to play.

Like coming back to old zones to do some new questlines within these zones (with maybe some npcs/mobs changed or removed) at max level? Pretty good if that was the case, something better than current warfronts farm.

Yeah, full Cata-like revamp of all old continets (with the exception of WoD's Draenor, as in lore connection to that alternate universe has been closed) is unlikely, however if WoW ever went free to play, it depends on how much budget it would have gotten (with lower they might have opted to focus more on reworking old zones, instead of making new ones from scratch). Now that I think about it, it's going to be really weird again pretty soon for new Kul Tirans and Zandalari, when they come to BfA zones, while being called mainlander, outsider etc., by npcs. ?

Edited by Arcling
  • Haha 1

I think it's funny and yeah wow has some jacked up stuff in the timeline but these aren't accurate.

His DK didn't die at the end of MoP to come back before wrath. Lore wise, he died prior to wrath.