FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Saerec

Zekvir Article

So, I think the article at https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/news/unlock-item-level-616-great-vault-slots-quickly-by-repeatedly-killing-zekvir/ needs some caveats.   I'm thinking whomever wrote the article was using a specific class/spec that is great against this boss, because I can't even get close with a ilvl 600 Guardian druid.

The problem I find (with the Guardian druid) is that the boss just constantly spams fears/stuns in melee range and there are things also that slow you down a lot, so you can't get out of the way.   I eventually die because I can't get out of the way of his fast casting dmg abilities, etc.

I'll try again with a caster class to see if being ranged helps with defeating this boss.  But, even if so, the article really needs to be re-written to include some caveats because it makes it sound like the boss is trivial for anyone.

Edited by Saerec

Follow-up:   Tried with a 600 warlock and it was a little easier.  But, it's still extremely difficult, and I haven't even gotten close.   The problem is that to avoid those "Claw Smash" cone abilities (which he casts very fast), you have to interrupt the fast ability that he casts which slows you down.   Then, you have to somehow kill the add (which has a lot of hps), because the add stuns you constantly.   So -- the difficulty is somehow keeping the boss targeted so you can interrupt his casts, but also targeting the add so you can dps him down before he stuns you at the wrong place/time.

In any event, it's not as "trivial" as the article makes it sound.   I REALLY want to see a video of the author of the article beating this boss with ilvl 550.  Because, either I'm missing something obvious or they're using a class/spec that has some serious mitigation for that AoE.

I'm not bitter, but it is irritating to have wasted time on this due to a prematurely released article that made it sound like this boss was not a challenge.

Edited by Saerec

16 hours ago, Saerec said:

Follow-up:   Tried with a 600 warlock and it was a little easier.  But, it's still extremely difficult, and I haven't even gotten close.   The problem is that to avoid those "Claw Smash" cone abilities (which he casts very fast), you have to interrupt the fast ability that he casts which slows you down.   Then, you have to somehow kill the add (which has a lot of hps), because the add stuns you constantly.   So -- the difficulty is somehow keeping the boss targeted so you can interrupt his casts, but also targeting the add so you can dps him down before he stuns you at the wrong place/time.

In any event, it's not as "trivial" as the article makes it sound.   I REALLY want to see a video of the author of the article beating this boss with ilvl 550.  Because, either I'm missing something obvious or they're using a class/spec that has some serious mitigation for that AoE.

I'm not bitter, but it is irritating to have wasted time on this due to a prematurely released article that made it sound like this boss was not a challenge.

Hey, thanks for your feedback! I’ve updated the post to clarify that not all classes will find it easy to defeat Zekvir. From what I know, the “?” difficulty has been significantly nerfed, and I didn’t have much trouble taking down the boss. As long as you can save a major cooldown or ability for the add and eliminate it before it hatches and stuns you, interrupt Zekvir’s casts, avoid his fear and frontal attacks while grabbing Brann’s potions, you should be able to succeed.

I never died because my DPS was too low, but because I didn’t execute a specific mechanic correctly. If you don’t interrupt, the damage over time and melee attacks will kill you. If you don’t DPS the add quickly, it will stun you, allowing Zekvir to kill you with his frontal attack. If you’re feared, you lose valuable time and might get killed by something else.

Think of Zekvir like the Mage Tower—it relies more on skill than on gear.